View Single Post
Old 2012-10-19, 03:39   Link #1086
zarqu
Stüldt Hĺjt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
You're not a criminal yet, but the risk of you falling over the edge is very high, hence remedial action needs to be taken immediately to prevent that from happening.
Depends on the remidial actions, of course. Neuroscientist Jim Fallon has the neurological and genetical correlates for psychopathy, yet he is a not a murderer but a neuroscientist. Why? He cites positive childhood experiences as negating any genetical vulnerabilities.

Can the state create those "positive experiences"? I don't see why any advanced civilization couldn't affect the environment part of the "nature vs. nurture" equation. But still, flagging children as latent criminals feels stigmatizing. Do their peers know? Can we let these latent criminals attend school with other children? Can the institutions of this society negate the genetic vulnerabilities?

We are two episodes in, so I'm still somewhat skeptical.

edit: I'm a fan of the Four Horsemen and especially Harris and Hitchens (RIP). The Sibyl System is exactly what kind of criticism Harris got for his book The Moral Landscape. I plan to read Dennett's Freedom Evolves at some point.
zarqu is offline   Reply With Quote