View Single Post
Old 2013-04-12, 05:40   Link #27
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Yea, and look what happened to the video game industry.

It's long gone from the early ages, when games were actually innovative and imaginative. Now, they're nothing more than flashy, hollowed out versions of its predecessors. Hardly any game these days can be deemed as "revolutionary".
I think we can argue till the cows come home over our subjective opinions about whether "mainstream" games are mostly bland or innovative.

I'll just point out that with broader appeal also comes a broader spectrum of opinion over what is good or bad about any one title, be it a game or anime. In any case, Triple R and relentlessflame have put forward the better case about the specific things that must change for anime to be more "mainstream" in the American market.

Let's just say that I don't see it as a lose-lose situation. With a broader audience comes more revenue, and with more money comes the possibility of doing more projects, some innovative, some maybe not as much. Sure, a lot may still be crap, but that's simply Sturgeon's Law at work, which applies regardless of the actual volume of production.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote