View Single Post
Old 2010-10-27, 03:08   Link #24
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Anyway, I agree that the Key/KyoAni stuff in general tends to do "drama, friends, and family" better than romance, which probably explains why I don't like them as much as EF, Sola, True Tears, etc... I'm one of those guys who tends to enjoy stories much more if there's a good romance involved. Once again, I'm interested in hearing the thoughts of game players - is the romance in the Key games themselves stronger than in the anime, or was were the games more about "drama, family, friends" too?
I sort of played Clannad and I can definitely say that certain routes were much stronger in the romance department than others. Especially the Tomoyo route, as you really got a sense of their romantic relationship and it was developed slowly and nicely. It progressed fairly smoothly and just came together beautifully IMO.

I think part of the problem with the anime was they chose Nagisa's route (Well duh, afterstory is about her) and while this was the correct choice to make, her route is not very romantic and just more dramatic, in particular in Afterstory. That's why the romance never felt like a prime focus in the anime while it would have been had they gone another girls route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
In general, this is true, although I do feel the need to point out that there are VNs where the routes are explicitly designed to form part of an overarching story - ie. Higurashi, Umineko, and Ever 17. In fact, I'd actually go as far as to say I don't find the individual routes/chapters in these stories that compelling when taken invidually, the whole is much more than the sum of the parts.
In which case, an integrated approach is just fine. So yeah, you got to consider the work you are dealing with for sure.

I'm still working myself through Ever 17 sigh... But I am more motivated to finish it now that Remember 11 has finally been translated .
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote