Thread: Windows 8
View Single Post
Old 2012-10-28, 05:03   Link #333
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
From what I've been reading recently on the internet, it seems you can do clean install as much as you want, and even transfer the license/OS to a different computer. However, there must always be a qualified OS installed on the computer when you're installing Windows 8. If you want to do a clean install without having any qualified OS installed, then you'd have to use the system builder version of Windows 8. To do a clean install, you boot from the install media, and once the installer detects that a qualified OS is installed, you have the option to format and proceed to clean install.

* I'm not entirely sure about the part in bold, but it seems to be the case.
Someone posted this thing on another forum. He said that he did a totally clean install, but as he expected, the key wouldn't activate. Turns out he found a workaround online and had his key activated. You supposedly regedit, go into "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE" and change "MediaBootInstall" from "1" to "0" . You then open cmd as admin and use "slmgr /rearm", ok and restart, and it's supposedly activated.

Not sure if it really works, but it should. I did a clean install but I had Windows installed on the partition before telling it to erase it, so I'm not sure if Windows actually checked beforehand, but I had no problem activating... Then again, that was my second installation :P