View Single Post
Old 2008-06-06, 19:40   Link #152
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by coroloro View Post
Or have you guys not seen enough Animes with that exact same kind of plot with similar types of characters to get the same 'feeling' I have on this one? :P I felt from the first episode, and the second, and then on that it was clear Ranka was being set up as the one who would win Alto. If they do anything else, it will be a very sharp break from previous plot trends in most anime and quite a surprise- I welcome it if so, nice to get something 'different'... though I do kind of like Ranka over Sheryl.
Once again I think the Shouji Kawamori factor will come into play here, it would be utterly disappointing if he ends this in a conventional way. Personally I think people should ignore trends for shows like this, especially ones based on VN novels.. focus on who is more right for Alto because more than likely that will be the person who ends up winning, not the girl who fits the usual winners archetype more than the other.

Look at the stuff in episode 10 Ranka found out about Alto, him being with Sheryl a lot, his past acting, she doesn't really know much about him and at the moment it's closer to a high school girl crush. This isn't the formula for a winner in a Kawamori show I'll tell you now... though I expect things to change.

Sheryl otoh gets Alto on the "why do we fly/sing level" and her words about Destiny Alto mimicked when he told Ozma he wanted to join SMS. She also understands him on the acting part since she's been a star for a few years now while Ranka is just starting up right now.

Also while Ranka may be the lead female Sheryl isn't exactly her Siesta to Ranka's Louise, or her Yoshida compared to Ranka's Shana etc. I personally doubt whoever is more important to the plot is going to also win the romantic stakes. Ranka and Sheryl are both very even, every episode that has focused on the other more has had undertones for the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
As far as I recall, Kawamori's stated he doesn't want the stories to be exact copies, which means that Sheryl and Alto may not be the 'end couple', just as Ranka and Alto may not be one.
We're already way away from this being a direct copy of the relationship. Atm we're getting a reverse Minmei with Ranka/Alto and episode 5 Sheryl and Alto's date was rather similar to DYRL Minmei's date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone_wolf View Post
But anyhow...I keep getting this KOR (Kimagure Orange Road) vibe with Sheryl as Madoka being the "good friend" and pushing and supporting Alto and Ranka when all this time she's been secretly pining her him as well. And for those who are familiar with KOR would know who won out in the end...
Madoka is awesome like Sheryl, thankfully Ranka is nowhere near as annoying as KOR's Hikaru. Misa/Madoka/Sheryl > Minmei/Hikaru/Ranka