View Single Post
Old 2010-11-29, 05:22   Link #19180
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Battler's sin was long hinted to be a promise, the problem is that ep7 comes out of the blue and makes it a conditional promise, which mucks up everything. It's no longer Battler saying "I will do x" and then not doing x; that at least is an obvious "sin" because it's a promise to do something that isn't followed up on.

However, it's in the form of "when you do y, I will do x." Nothing prior to ep7 suggests this specifically, but neither is such a thing discounted. The problem here is that it absolves Battler of partial responsibility for the sin. Until Yasu does y, he's under no obligation to do x. The only way she can really force him into a position where he can "break his promise" is to perform her end of the bargain and make him somehow aware of it. That is, if the actual act of breaking the promise is in fact the sin, and not making it to begin with or somesuch. There have been other proposals I won't go into, just pointing out that there are several.

So the issue here is, why did Ryukishi set things up this way? People had already basically guessed the context of the promise. And it seemed to make sense. Throwing in a conditional is mucking up his own narrative. I can't think that was an accident as it takes an extra step of thinking about the "sin" to even complicate a promise that way. So what the deal, man?
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote