View Single Post
Old 2010-12-30, 23:31   Link #250
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
I think you might be missing the point.

The reason why I made the comparison was because the central theme of the 00 movie & the end movie's quote, "Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding" by Albert Einstein is also the very central theme to Macross since the latter's first inception.

The similarities to Macross is quite striking, as the 00 movie is about humanity facing an enemy that can only be pacificed through mutual understanding and not raw military prowess. Moreover, one can compare Setsuna to that of Macross diva(s), as both fulfilling the role of humanity's liaison to a foreign, unknown entity.
It should be noted though that Macross isn't even the very first franchise to have such a theme - if there's a more apt example, Star Trek did it first. In my view the ELS in Awakening of the Trailblazer has more in common with V'Ger in Star Trek: The Motion Picture than Macross, if one wants me to dive into similarities and comparisons.

- Unknown entity that assimilates in order to understand something
- Lack of tangible means of communication between the two
- Entity incapable of being defeated by military means
- Said entity turning out to not have hostile intentions, but simply misunderstood
- The need for a liason to understand the aliens

There's also the exquisite detail put into creating an alien environment through which the main hero/es go through, achieving a sense of wonder at something so completely alien that I feel the two series share, something that Macross doesn't quite have due to the Zentradi being humanoid.

Also, I don't quite understand the perception that the theme "Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding" is a Macross-first concept, when that is pretty much a recurring theme for many Gundams (that's what Newtypes are for afterall), just that 00 put it as its primary theme. In fact, it's a theme that many war anime put forward, so I'm not sure why Macross is the only one it's compared to. In this case, the generality of the theme makes comparisons between series pretty silly.

On the other hand, I have no idea how WH40K got into the equation...

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote