View Single Post
Old 2011-10-02, 18:09   Link #6
Raiga
tl;dr

The thing with this question is that the replies never answer the question, "Is it possible for me to learn Japanese from anime?" The replies all answer the question, "Am I going to be able to follow through and actually study the language, or will I just end up a loser Japanophile with a lexicon of 20 words?"

Which is not necessarily a bad way to reply, because 99% of people who ask if they can learn Japanese from anime do in fact end up learning a few dozen words, minimal grammar, and call that progress. These are the people who walk around going "kawaii day-soo nay" and "sugooooy" at everything.

The short answer to "is it possible" is yes. The short answer to "is it practical" is no. The short answer to "is it practical with some supplementary material" is yes if you actually like the language. No if you are just doing it for anime.

Case study: myself.

Two years of self-study using internet grammar resources, attempting to translate songs, and watching tons of anime. After that I walked into the Japanese department at my college, took the placement exam, and started taking third-year courses.

BUT. I love the Japanese language. Once I started, I was hooked by its beauty, structure, and complexity. If you don't actually like the language, and if this is just an extension of your interest in anime, then STOP while you're still ahead.

That's all I have to say.