View Single Post
Old 2012-05-08, 06:58   Link #116
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi Hou Take View Post
TBF Gurren Lagann was 26 episodes and Gainax completely made that shit up as they went along, considering the first episode had preview of future Simon, that was supposed to end up being realised but never was because the character development they eventually decided on up to that point would make him acting like that seem weird so they completely retconned him. Meaning they had done barely any detailed planning for the series.
And the promo trailers for Gankutsuou had scenes and characters that never made it into the actual series, it showed a completely different story for certain characters, with some characters being totally different with totally different designs (Eugénie's hairdo and personality apparently ended up being used for Andrea, etc). Then the writers made some huge last-minute changes and the series ended up the way it did. Writers do change stories and directions in the middle of production, that's nothing new. I've seen anime screenplays with entire pages crossed out, instructions and new dialogue scribbled in, etc.

But these are not the production making stuff up as they go (never mind rewriting entire plotlines just because of fan reactions). Sure, you can change things during production, you can make large changes, but you can't change the story from an episode-to-episode basis given that they don't even do animation and voice recording on an episode-to-episode basis. The screenplay is written before the actual animation happens, can you imagine the chaos if writers were constantly rewriting huge chunks of the screenplay for episodes that have already been animated, or the animation had to come to a halt every single time while the writers decide to rewrite entire plotlines? Not to mention, the writing is way, way ahead of the airing. It's not like they decide on the plot of an episode the week before it airs.

Btw, I work in the dubbing industry and I know it's perfectly possible to record a dub minutes before a show airs, or even during it's airing. That doesn't mean it happens very often...