View Single Post
Old 2007-04-30, 04:29   Link #27
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
Lol. Well, it might just be me
It's not just you. I mean, I'm all for slow pacing and character exposition, and while I get the meaning behind Koyori and Aono's relationship and all the other stuff surrounding Aono's character, none of it felt very profound or had a huge impact on me. I'm still sort of waiting for this show to do something special. Sometimes it just feels like it's going through the motions and I can't really say that any of the characters or the story to date has really captured me.

I blame atmosphere, actually. It's not absorbing enough. Neither the visuals or the music is very special and it feels like that either the director isn't inspired, or is having trouble passing on that inspiration to the audience. There's not a great deal of flair to any of the cinematography or visuals. And these aren't the types of things that can be discounted in any anime. Story is important, but anime producers need to use all the tools at their disposal to enthrall the audience and connect them with the story, and it just doesn't feel like it's happening with this series.

Yorito continues to be bland. What I'd like to see from him in the future is some talkback when Matsuri gives him some lip. I just can't see any reason to respect him while he continues to let all the girls around him walk all over him.

It's pretty much the mystery that's keeping me interesting. There are still a huge number of questions surrounding why Takeshi and Shinkuseki are so desperate to find Matsuri, and exactly what Aono's sickness is and how it relates to the rest of the story. Obviously, they're trying to keep all their cards close to their chest and aren't revealing anything, but I'm fearful that it's detrimental to the characters, since we still know virtually nothing about them, even now.

Not that this show is all bad... it's still got me fairly intrigued. But, I almost feel as though this could be a much better series in the hands of a different director.