Thread: Licensed Persona 4 (TV)
View Single Post
Old 2011-11-02, 19:10   Link #1079
Rethice
Kingslayer

Send a message via AIM to Rethice Send a message via MSN to Rethice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
The subs I had for Persona 4 Episode 4 had Yukiko calling Chie her "Prince" over and over again. Or, at least, that's what emo doppelganger Yukiko was calling Chie.

It's by no means the thickest yuri subtext I've seen between two girls in an anime, but it's thick enough that it's hard for me to view their relationship through a purely platonic lens.

Honestly, for this yuri fan, Chie/Yukiko moments were the highlights of Persona 4 Episode 4.

When one girl calls another girl her "prince", that's a pretty big yuri hint for me.

I'm not sure if that'll go anywhere (I never played the Persona 4 game) but I like it.

On the whole, Persona 4 is a decent shonen show for me. It's funny, because I know some that praise it a lot, and I know some that hate it a lot, but for me, it's just a solid, decent, shonen action-adventure story. The main trio is really starting to grow on me, and the visuals are good enough.

However, Persona 4 is also a bit episodic and formulaic at the moment.

The emo doppelganger approach, while interesting at first, is going to get old if it's used for much longer, imo. It's a nice way to mix action in with character development, but it can get tiresome if relied on too much. Hope the anime changes things up a bit soon.
I think the reason it seems so clear to me is that it wasn't there at all in the game. They didn't go into the flashbacks or the touching dialogue between Yukiko and Chie in the game, it was just Yukiko putting out a general request for a "Prince" to save her. If anything, the game implies that the Prince is the MC, not Chie.

Not saying I have anything wrong with this, but it does change a lot of the relationship "shipping" that is made likely in the game.

To me, it seemed like Chie x Yosouke was an obvious pairing, while it was always unclear whether MC would be with Yukiko or Rise. Throwing Chie x Yukiko in the mix as the likely result changes everything!

And again, referring to "that" smirk Narukami gave Yosuke in episode one, we might have a fullhouse of same-gender relationiships.