View Single Post
Old 2012-09-29, 15:02   Link #52
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Agatha Christie novels are already consider classic and secondary several have been turn into movies. With the lack of creative talent in the movie biz, it won't be long till someone remake those.
As I said, the problem with Christie is that 99% of her works are strictly formula. When we talk about classics, that kind of things just doesn't fly. Also, she isn't really considered classic. We can't really know what will happen to her until the generation that read her works are dead, and last time I checked they're largely alive and kicking. Don't forget, that she only died in 1976, and many of her novels were written right up until her death, and so she would have been a novelist of my parents and grandparents generation.

Come 2075, I'm fairly sure that Agatha Christie will only be known for her Wikipedia entry saying she's the most prolific mystery author of all time.

Conan Doyle had a lot of original ideas. Christie only had one, and made a career out of flogging it over and over again. Classic that does not make.

If you want to talk about classics, the works that tend to become classics are not genre fiction. To give an example, if we look at the 1500-1600 one of the most well known books was Amadis de Gaul, along with Don Quixote, it's parody. Don Quixote transcended genre, and wasn't written to any strict formula. Amadis de Gaul, while well written, was strictly formula for chivalric literature. Don Quixote is read to this day. As for Amadis? It's only known because it's explicitly mentioned by name in Don Quixote. Agatha Christie will go the way of Amadis de Gaul.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote