Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll It's Not My Fault I'm Not Popular (WATAMOTE)
View Single Post
Old 2013-07-11, 21:57   Link #225
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
I think Tomoko really needs psychological intervention. She especially needs help on her inability to speak to strangers - yes, there are many other deeper reasons behind her social incompetence (including a schizophrenic yo-yoing between affecting contempt for the "crowd" and wanting to be in) , but the biggest barrier that I see is that she has a crippling inability to speak to anyone unfamiliar. Unfortunately, Japan's infamous taboo against psychological intervention is working against her.
She most likely has Social Anxiety Disorder:

Quote:
The diagnosis of social anxiety disorder can be of a specific disorder (when only specific social situations are feared) or a generalized disorder. Generalized social anxiety disorder typically involves a persistent, intense, chronic fear of being judged by others and of being embarrassed or humiliated by one's own actions. These fears can be triggered by perceived or actual scrutiny from others. While the fear of social interaction may be recognized by the person as excessive or unreasonable, overcoming it can be quite difficult. Social anxiety disorder is known to appear at an early age in most cases. 50% of those who develop this disorder have developed it by the age of 11 and 80% have developed it by age 20. This early age of onset may lead to people with social anxiety disorder being particularly vulnerable to depressive illnesses, drug abuse and other psychological conflicts.[3] Physical symptoms often accompanying social anxiety disorder include excessive blushing, sweating (hyperhidrosis), trembling, palpitations and nausea. Stammering may be present, along with rapid speech. Panic attacks can also occur under intense fear and discomfort. An early diagnosis may help minimize the symptoms and the development of additional problems, such as depression. Some sufferers may use alcohol or other drugs to reduce fears and inhibitions at social events. It is common for sufferers of social phobia to self-medicate in this fashion, especially if they are undiagnosed, untreated, or both; this can lead to alcoholism, eating disorders or other kinds of substance abuse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
by the way, why does the thread have an english title?
That's how the original scanlator translated the title. It's not entirely accurate (it's literally, "However You Think About It, My Unpopularity Is Your Fault") but it's what most manga fans call it.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote