View Single Post
Old 2006-01-07, 22:09   Link #290
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil shinta
Destiny did not fail, it just suffered from narrow minded fans. It did not follow the normal Gundam formula in terms of story and characters. It is the most un-Gundam like show, outside of Turn A, Gundam X, and G Gundam.

Also, it is the second act to a larger overall story. It is not a self contained story like all of the UC shows.
lil shinta, I agree with your conclusion that Destiny did not fail, but I object to the thrust of your arguments. First off, a show should be judged on its own merits; whether it's part of a larger work such as a prequel/sequel or manga side-stories should be immaterial.

Likewise, it's really unfair to blame the fans for not liking Destiny. Everybody likes different things, and if people don't like Destiny, then it's their own perogative. It would be nice if they explained why they felt that way, but that's not really necessary either.

Having said that, it's nice to see that someone else can recognize the unGundamness of Destiny. I think that's it's less of the Gundam archetype than even Turn A and G Gundam. I think that it would have been a much better show if it was completely divorced from Gundam (I think the same way about Turn A).

As to the topic at hand, I don't know if it's really fair to say that Destiny fail in the first place. What should we use as the criteria for determining failure and success? Should it be popularity, financial success, the feelings of the creators, artistic vision, or a combination of these factors? How would Destiny stack up here against other Gundam shows?