View Single Post
Old 2012-07-27, 06:15   Link #51
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Cause View Post
New York city: Get caught with an unregistered gun and it's a year in prison! Still the crime flows!
United Kingdom: Once our brothers and sisters across the Atlantic enjoyed firearms. Nit any more! They were banned outright and rumor has it you have to have a permit to use a hammer? And crime has ballooned over there!
Austrailia: Same thing!
So please explain too me how gun control is really working for those places!
I too was raised in the south and guns were present every day if my life. I'm currently licensed through the state of Virginia to carry concealed and do so!
Does gun control work? It does for the criminals who care not one wit about the law!
Depends, I doubt guns affect crime rates, they only increase the level of violence. The amount of crimes committed is inherently linked to societal problems.

That said, for countries without a gun culture it can be very worthwhile to keep guns out. The UK have been effective in controlling guns and gun violence. Crime rates surging has a lot to do with increased reporting of small offenses rather than a decrease of gun-ownership, which has always been low.

Gun bans in the US simply won't work without resorting to draconian measures as there are millions of fire-arms in circulation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Nothing like a home invasion when the bad guys *know* no one inside has any deterrent.... :P
True, but there is a difference between not owning a gun, and not having a deterrent. Don't forget man's best friend protecting our homes for the last 15,000 years.

Last edited by Bri; 2012-07-27 at 06:35.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote