View Single Post
Old 2007-08-30, 14:50   Link #3
OmegaZEROCustom
The Alpha and the Omega

I think a lot of it comes down to models and MSIA and other figures and such. Look at it this way. While I LOVE the RX-78-2 design, look at it this way. What does it have for features as a model or figure? 2 Beam sabers, a rifle, bazooka, and the Gundam Hammer if included. It has the Core Fighter as a "transformation" and thats it. Now, lets look at some of the newer Gundams. Wing ZERO (TV Version) for instance. It has a beam saber, the buster rifle, and a transformation gimmick. The Strike and Impulse have each have the hip stored daggers, beam sabers, swappable equipment packs (and in the case of the Strike, the main body color remains the same so you get effectively 3 Gundams in one), and with the Impulse, a similar Core Block-like system.

Ignoring the fact that the RX-78-2 sells like hotcakes anyway because its a classic design, compare it to, say, the RX-79[G] Ground Type Gundam. Pretty much the same equipment loadout as the RX-78-2. The market is for these flashy Gundams with all sorts of bits and bobs all over. Thats why we see the Gundams getting more Super Robot style and less of a war machine like the early UC Gundams were. Kids want to see all he gimmicks of the Gundam in action and have all the same gimmicks on their model or MSIA. That's probably why the Exia has, what, 7 different types of blades on it. Because it gives them a more accessories to slap onto the figures they put out.

Thats just my feelings on it though.
OmegaZEROCustom is offline   Reply With Quote