View Single Post
Old 2012-10-10, 20:24   Link #4
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youkakun View Post
If you have to ask, you're not using ASS often or didn't understand the thread question.
F.e. a lot of typesetters are using AFX because ASS styling is too weak and working in plain text with ASS could surely be better.
I don't think there's a pressing need to add in advanced typesetting features to ASS, because once you talk about replacing AFX or even simulating some of its features you have to actually define a rendering specification.

The only feature I would like to have in ASS is support for more advanced timing formats:

1. Millisecond precision
2. Frame number based with framerate index to support VFR video subtitles. (i.e. subtitles have a start and end frame, and there's metadata that stores the framerates for each segment of the video).
3. Support for SMPTE timecodes and timecode resets. I.e. I'd like to be able to have a sub file with native support for SMPTE timecodes like 29.97 and 23.976 non-drop, plus a single sub file that can handle subtitles for videos where the timecode track resets in the middle.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote