View Single Post
Old 2006-01-24, 18:03   Link #279
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo
On the one hand, Hazumu did not have some simple "sex change" operation. He was reconstituted as a girl from the DNA in each cell on up. He is certainly a girl in every physical aspect. If girlxgirl=yuri, then this is definitely a yuri show. I have no expectation at all of Hazumu being changed back into a male.
For all we know this was done on purpose and the alien was lying about not being able to change Hazumu back. At any rate, the most important part of Hazumu, her mind, is just as male as it was in the first place. Though I will express some doubts that Hazumu's mind was ever very male.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo
Spoiler for NoSanninWa's classification of yuri shows, including plot-spoilers:
Whoa. Please don't misunderstand me. I didn't mean that the girls have to end up together for it to be yuri. MariMite is undeniably yuri, but it is left competely vague if the girls have any romantic feeling at all.

I only meant that the writers invariably lack commitment. In almost all yuri, either the feelings aren't clearly spelled out as romantic, they don't end up together or else a girl isn't really a girl. These things are true, but I never meant to imply that it isn't in the yuri or shoujo-ai genre.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote