View Single Post
Old 2004-01-22, 11:35   Link #45
Ookla The Mok

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminatedwax
It's probably a safe bet that this series will not likely see major distribution in the States, because alchemy really is a sort of an occult practice. "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone" became "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" for that very reason.
Well that part I'll disagree with. This show is going to be licensed no question, and will probably become very popular. Who knows, it might even get licensed before Naruto. I wouldn't be too surprised to see it on Adult Swim.

And the reason the Harry Potter book got its name changed is not because of the occult. Really, sorcerers are considered much much more occult than alchemy. The reason is that the word "Philosopher" sounds like something that old men with beards and togas are involved in, and Scholastic didn't think that kids would want to buy a book with the word in the title. Personally I think it was a very stupid thing to do, since now people like AKeep and Anbu think (well, thought, for episode one) that "Sorcerer's Stone" is an acceptable synonym for the Philosopher's Stone.