View Single Post
Old 2006-03-30, 19:51   Link #8
tun
lolwut
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy
The Hazumu/Tomari relationship has history, but history isn't necessarily the same thing as depth. Personally, I never thought the two of them shared much apart from their history - which can make for a very satisfying and long-lasting friendship, but not necessarily a romance or a marriage. I still have yet to see the last episode, but the fact that Tomari is talking about marrying him is somewhat irrelevant, because Hazumu is no longer a "him." She has become something else - as all people do, just normally not this drastic or with the help of aliens - and Tomari can't relate to her in the same way that she related to him.

Hazumu and Yasuna always appeared to have much more in common with each other and be much more in sync with each other than Hazumu and Tomari - or at least that's the way I saw it.
I disagree with simply the history part. The history part also means that they are much closer than Hazumu and Yasuna are. They are more open to talk to each other and the feelings for each other feel more genuine or stronger because they are rooted in some kind of history. I'm pretty sure my bias for childhood friendship romances influneces my preferences heavily, but that's usually because the characters have known each other for so long and they just seem to click.

And the marrying "him" part isn't irrelevent. It still expresses her strong desire to be with "him". What's the difference in Hazumu wanting to be by Yasuna's side and Tomari talking about marrying "him"? Not much. They just want to be with each other.

Hazumu's gender change doesn't really have anything to do with it. It's just making it harder for Tomari because she still has these strong feelings for "him" but now she's just confused and frustrated because now that he is a "she", it's not exactly normal.

I didn't really see much of a connection with Hazumu and Yasuna. He saw her in the woods, thought she was pretty, and then planted some plants together. Those plants were sadly one of their only real connections with each other.