View Single Post
Old 2008-08-18, 07:25   Link #21
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toua View Post
Right, I'm not saying I expect them to actually provide us with a legal Day 0 or even Day 14 release (as FUNimation's rep said on that fansub and industry panel), but if such a thing were to happen, all they need is an established online distribution platform, like a streaming site such as Crunchyroll.
Streaming is obviously not remotely "equivalent". It doesn't satisfy the wish to collect anime you like, it is not always available, and the quality is by all objective standards terrible. Streaming will not get the majority of fansub fans to switch, since it does not scratch the aforemented itches.

Quote:
Considering BitTorrent and high-quality files aren't as widely used anymore as their streaming equivalents, [...]
A misleading way to put it, since it sounds as if there was a significant move from bittorrent/hq-files to streaming, which I don't see. Download numbers of fansubs have not significantly changed over the last years. Streaming is a different _new_ kind of ballgame, not a substitute for fansubs.

Quote:
I don't see how much of a paradigm shift would there need to be. Most folks (the streaming crowd) would just need to go to a different streaming site. And at least a portion of hardcore fans who download via BT/IRC wouldn't wait for rips to appear.
A portion might not, maybe. However, the bulk would. The quality difference is simply way too great, you can't collect streaming files, and you (usually) can't watch them from your couch on your home TV, at least not in hi-quality. This may not apply to a portion of other anime fans, but I'm convinced that the vast majority will still try to look for the fansub alternative.

Anyway, I don't want to see this thread degress into another "streaming" debate. If you seriously believe that the 4 predictions I listed would not happen due to some official "streaming" sites popping up, we'll have to agree to disagree. I honestly can't see this happening.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote