Thread: Licensed Katanagatari
View Single Post
Old 2010-03-22, 17:36   Link #854
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
What sort of originality do you find in the scriptwriting yelling "OMG LOOK GUISE WE ARE SO SMART WE BREAK THE FOURTH WALL EVERY 30 SECONDS IN THIS AWESOME 20 MINUTE POINTLESS DIALOGUE!" (mostly for episode 2, episode 3 had less of that but it still was yawn-inducing most of the time). Spice and Wolf at least had interesting dialogues, this one's are completely pointless 9 out of 10 times.

seriously the concept coupled with the art was interesting at first but it's growing to be goddamn boring every minute. It's not helped by the terrible decision of making 12 40-minute episodes each spread over a month, either.

Expanding a bit on my opinion of the series, the thing is that it's trying to base itself around character development (so much talk so little action) when there's only one remotely interesting character, Togame. And even she's not that interesting in herself. The hero bloke is as bland as a mentally retarded, son-of-the-jungle character can get. Seriously, if they were trying to pull off witty dialogues or something like that we should have at least got someone remotely interesting (hi Lawrence). The rest of the cast is pointless and even though there are some interesting side-characters (the miko in episode 3) they obviously don't get nearly enough screen time to warrant anything given the "monster of the week" approach of the series.

And don't even get me started on the ninjas.
I don't think they were trying for back and forth witty banter, like in Spice and Wolf. It's more the usual boke-and-tsukkomi routine.

But it is, I suppose, about the characters. Not Shichika. Maybe about Togame, long term. Taking it slowly. Mostly, though, it's about the antagonists. Who are those people, holding on to their swords with all they have? What do they hope to accomplish? Maybe that's why the first ninja was so boring. His motivation - money - was so mundane. So lacking in nobility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
moar like nerdraging amirite

Why would anyone think that's a good format for a TV series? Even worse if most of the episodes are to be comprised of dialogue.
I actually like the once a month. Good for savoring the eps. Not that I'd have the force of will to resist devouring them as soon as available if they came more frequently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
It's not that. In fact, I'm not even taking that into account until I've heard the full story. Shichika was totally willing to kill those two robbers even when they were no longer a threat and Togame had to actually explain why he shouldn't. Meisai's death was clearly something sad and something Togame felt remorse for (you could see it from the look on her face when she saw her body), but Shickika simply smiles at her like a dog who's successfully brought the stick back to his owner.
Or a cat with a dead sparrow. We feel sorry for the cute sparrow. The cat, though...

Quote:
The way he calmly took his stance against Togame when they first met and his sister confirming that Shichika would have killed her had she not fallen over. I wouldn't be surprise if had Shichika killed Togame then, he wouldn't have thought much of it. Shichika blatantly stated that he is Togame's sword to Mesei. Swords don't feel remorse. They don't feel anything.

I'm pretty sure Shichika is meant to be a deconstruction of the typical Raised By Wolves character type. Not played straight as you suggest.
Interesting point of view. It's true that, despite being nice, Shichika is as unencumbered by society's arbitrary rules as any jungle predator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
Who cares if he doesn't cares about the life of others. He is a sword, no more no less.
I don't think he's devoid of compassion. Otherwise, why would he have cared about Togame's sob story at all? But yeah, if someone draws a sword against him, he considers it natural to go against that person with deadly force, too. And really, why wouldn't he?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote