View Single Post
Old 2011-11-26, 09:58   Link #89
Brimstone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
He heavily implied it with the "In the original harems (Tenchi, for example), sure, the girls can kick a ton of ass, but Tenchi himself was just as powerful, or as often hinted, perhaps even more so." bit.

He's clearly implying that he wants harem anime male leads that are the strongest protagonist in the show that they're in (either by himself, or "tied" with other cast members).

I took his last statement as being hyperbole. As hyperbole, I get where he's coming from.

I think he was focusing mostly on harem anime male leads though. That this was another implication in what he wrote, imo.
That's alot of implications and assumptions.

Quote:
By the same token, the times that they do show strong character does not void all the times they fail to stand up to certain abuses or unfair treatment.

Many viewers, including myself, greatly dislike that failure to stand up for themselves.
So what should we do then? Keep tabs of scores? See which side wins out? Make a list to quantify the levels of wuss or courage in each actions?

Quote:
One thing to keep in mind is that Ranma ½ ran for seven seasons, so it alone has as much content as seven two-cour anime shows (and that's not counting OVAs and Movies). If you wanted a truly strong (in every sense of the word) harem anime male lead, Ranma Saotome provided that in abundance.
It doesn't matter, one show is one show

Quote:
However, I'll get back to you later on these questions. I'll need to sift through some old titles first.
Can you feel my anticipation ?

Quote:
Ranma gave as good as he got. No, not physically, but verbally he stood up for himself and was no less 'rough' towards Akane than what she was to him.

So I have to very strongly disagree with your assessment of Ranma here.
Funny, must have missed that part... Oh well...

Quote:
And that's precisely my point. For those viewers who were introduced to harem anime through Ranma ½, it's quite understandable that some of them would be disappointed with a lot of the harem anime male leads out there.
I'm pretty sure when you ask someone their first harem anime experience Ranma 1/2 don't usually jump to mind...
Brimstone is offline   Reply With Quote