Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2012-11-09, 20:07   Link #24523
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahan View Post
There will be chaos in France if the CAP is scrapped though.

Of all the major europeans countries, we are the one relying most on agriculture. (1.8% of GDP while Germany and the UK (biggest opponent to the CAP) are at 0.8% or below.

Plus some countries are just pissed France and Spain are the biggest beneficiary of one of biggest european subsidy. (I am looking at you UK) but it is because it's the biggest agricultural power and the subsidies are proportionate to the production level.

Western countries tolerate the fact overall money redistribution favor the East, but don't like it when it clearly favors a western power (unless they are that power, of course). That said, without the PAC, most of the small farmers would disappear and the EU would probably prevent France to subside them because it would be unfair to the farmers of other countries.
I'm not convinced that most of Europe's agricultural production is so dependent on the CAP. While there are the smaller "traditional" farmers to consider, I don't see why the rest of us should subsidise their inefficient farming that can't stand without a subsidy. If they want to live the traditional lifestyle, let them have the poverty that traditionally goes with it, you can't have your cake and eat it(19th century farmers couldn't afford televisions and computers, why should we be surprised that 21st century farmers can using 19th century methods? If they want 21st century goods, they should farm in a 21st century way...).

Anyway, most of the CAP doesn't go to small farmers (it's paid by the acre) but to large ones, who don't really need the help.

The CAP also inordinately harms less developed nations, as they can't compete against the flood of cheap subsidized produce that comes out of the EU.

And is it fair that I have to pay French, Polish or, yes, Irish Farmers for them to produce goods that I may never want?

So my argument regarding the CAP, is that if a European farmer can't survive without the CAP, maybe they should get out of farming. Or modernize.

But as I said earlier, the most egregious problems with the CAP are already being dealt with, thankfully. I still disagree with carte blanche agricultural subsidies. The only measure I think the EU should take is to buy up food at market prices to stabilize the food supply in case of drought.