View Single Post
Old 2012-08-20, 08:13   Link #20
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
You know something? I think Chitanda might be on the verge of having a crush on Hotaru. We already know that there are hints of a crush in the other direction too. Over all though, this feels like a low key, very relaxing story, so I'm rating it highly, because this is exactly what Hyouka promises and delivers with excellence.

Speaking of which, is it safe to tell us which volume of Hyouka are we on right now, to get a sense whether there is enough material for another 26 episodes of this wonderful slice of life anime?
I'd suggest that Houtarou might've been trending toward a crush on Chitanda at the beginning of the series, while Chitanda didn't really see him in that way. I'd also suggest that his interest in her falls off considerably as the series wears on, although he finds himself in the position where he feels he must "appease" her, and meet her expectations of him.

On the other hand, Chitanda starts out the series seeming to mostly see him for what he can do to help her resolve her unanswered questions about her missing uncle. Every time he comes through for her, it increases her estimation of him, and increases the emotional attachment she feels toward him. She's more apt to want to get to know him better, to be kinder to him, and to be aware of him as a healthy young man. All culminating in that very dere-dere look she gives him near the end of the episode.

Houtarou seems to be aware of just what Chitanda thinks of him (or, at least, he seems to think he does); and how it differs from how he sees her. Witness his imagined bike-ride scenarios. Houtarou riding on the back of Chitanda's bike looks even less pleased than usual. Chitanda riding as Houtarou's co-pilot seems to be in complete bliss. He either doesn't like it, or (as has been said,) he's very much afraid of failing to meet her expectations should he dare to return those feelings. To the point that, where when she praises him with that look I mentioned earlier . . . he shoots her down.

To answer your other question . . . no. By the end of the 22 episode run, KyoAni will have covered four of the five extant books. Either they'd have to dramatically expand the adaptation, or more books would have to come out . . . which, given the irregular schedule with which the author writes them, seems to be unlikely in the immediate future.