View Single Post
Old 2012-10-12, 07:44   Link #25
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Mine Fujiko in the recent Lupin III spinoff poses an interesting issue for this thread. It's hard to see a character who spends a good portion of the anime in the nude as not designed for fanservice. Yet Fujiko's use of her sexuality is cunning and instrumental and designed to get what she needs out of the men around her. In answer to DonQ's two questions, I would say Fujiko is objectified by the men around her, but not necessarily by Okada's script or the show's direction. As for question two, since Fujiko is at least as strong as any of the male characters, she's not simply presented in relation to any man but as a self-reliant woman in her own right.

My idea of a compelling "action girl" character would be Balsa in Moribito, though at thirty she has moved beyond being called a "girl." Not a hint of fanservice about her, nor is she portrayed in any sort of sexist role. Maybe it has something to do with stories written by women.
Men can use their sexuality in something without anyone thinking anything of it. I see nothing wrong with female characters doing the same.

Ultimately, it's a lot more about how they the work uses their sexuality, then whether or not it does. If the sexuality is purely to titillate a male audience, it's probably sexist. However, from what you say, the example you gave doesn't seem sexist to me. She has agency.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote