View Single Post
Old 2011-01-02, 03:56   Link #228
thirdlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
What most people don't seem to know is that while the character art was mostly Kyoani, the background art for that movie was largely done by a separate studio in Korea called Studio Blue, and two other Japanese in-between animation groups called Anime Workshop Basara and Headworks who frequently lose credit for their work to Kyoto Animation and who have been behind the background art for parts (and in some cases all) of some of the most frequently praised animation works of the decade such as Angel Beats, Clannad After Story, Kanon, K-On, The Big O, Code Geass, Gundam 00, Eureka Seven and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. Some Kyoani animators worked on the background art as well, but it was overwhelming done by outsiders. So basically the part of the movie that people are praising the most had little to do with Kyoto Animation in terms of hands on work, which really raises some interesting questions about where Kyoani is at as an animator. The work is actually a composite piece (like much of today's anime) mostly done out of house.
Praising art directors is enough, isn't it? Background artists just paint in the same way the art director does. (Oh, I hear voices to bash me in my head again.) They themselves say that realistically painting is just a pain because it takes time to do but a piece of cake because it's not creative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arias View Post
Still the best studio now. There's no better studio, and I doubt that there's an TV series animation studio that has a better modern track record than KyoAni.
Do you know Ashita no Nadja, a show produced by Toei and considered a failure? From what I heard, its sale was as much as that of Haruhi. What a limited market the otaku market is. (I don't know when the numbers of them were compared. Maybe before Haruhi 2009?)