View Single Post
Old 2007-07-28, 21:53   Link #4
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuaythebest View Post
I wonder why those who are never going to watch dub always complain about dub. If I hate KFC , should I go to tell someone who love to eat KFC that"KFC taste like shit"??
Bad example, because if you liked your friend you'd try to get them to stop eating so much KFC and waddling.
Some dub critics would *like* to see improvements in scripting and dubbing talent. Dubs *can* be good ("My Friend Totoro" is an example. There are others).
Also, many of our friends may be interested in the story but aren't used to watching subs... or they have astigmatism. Many "professional" subtitles are pretty awful for people with sensitivities to the viewing requirements. Some subtitles make my wife nauseated with headaches.

There are excellent and relatively cheap voice actors out there ... they just aren't being used. The directors are comfortable with returning repeatedly to the existing pool of actors they know and they have more of an eye at the budget than of the quality.

This is changing a bit. Recent anime (e.g. Haruhi) -- they went the extra mile for dubbing. Its not *great* but it is definitely listenable. Same for Kamichu! But there are still too many english VAs who really can't act their way out of a paper bag -- and there's no reason for the consumer to suffer it when there's so much unused talent out there.

Quote:
No I don't feel sorry because I was satified with this dub from what I've listen so far. But I do feel sorry for some ignorance who think others were inferior because they just don't like what you like. One last thing , your garbage doesn't has to be others's garbage.
Frankly, I'm surprised AIR was dubbed at all.... it is intrinsically japanese (shinto/buddhist/historical/supernatural references). In a couple of weeks, I'll give the dub a chance like I give every dub a chance. Hopefully, we won't have to suffer with off-pitch whiny voices with poor acting skills. Then the audience who might appreciate this will be wider.