View Single Post
Old 2007-04-12, 20:29   Link #891
mukansa monkey
Pink bug make Amu angry!

:: jumps out of the bushes ::
Kaioshin-sama! Troll! Enemy of Haruhiism!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist. Yanno though, being bothered by the lack of manliness in this show seems kind of odd since it's a show about high school girls. Although I'm also tired of having male leads who are whiny/incompetent. Anime needs more guys like Batou. And FYI... there's a lot of decaffeinated brands on the market that are just as tasty as the real thing.

Funny thing, I don't see the OP as being that much about dancing. Much of the footage isn't dancing, and some of the footage that is doesn't have the dance move creativity of Hare Hare Yukai. The fascination for me is with the music itself. I've been trying to figure out what's going on with all the time signature and tempo changes, the music is rather unusual for a "pop" song. Would be curious to hear some analysis from someone with more musical education than I have. I have to give the a.f.k. people major props for putting out what seems like such an accurate translation of the lyrics. Now I can sing it! Oh, and I was being driven nutz by the section in the middle after the shots of their legs, from that point to just before the cheerleading section was so reminding me of another song. Finally figured out what it is... "Spice Up Your Life" by the Spice Girls. Same shift to a lower register, with almost the same melody line. And I find both oddly addictive.

Going to put myself into the minority category here, I thought the section where they talk about food was the best part of the whole show. First because I've had conversations that are sooo similar in tone and flow, although not on the same subject matter. Second because I think it's a really good way to start the series by setting a tone that says thinking about the weirdness of everyday topics is the point... clearly we should expect a more cerebral and subtle tone than the sometimes manic pace of AzuDai, let alone the action of SHnY. And finally... because Miyuki is my alter ego. Or maybe I'm hers. She eats cake *just* like me... I've even used the phrase "normal distribution" to describe how I eat desserts. It's bordering on eerie. So I just hope that in my next lifetime I will be that cute!

About the somewhat over-rapid timing of many of the transitions: I'm thinking it may be a side effect of the extra strain that reading subs puts on the brain. A native viewer is going to be hearing the lines while their visual cortex is examining the elements of the scene. Someone who's trying to read the subs and look at the scene, back and forth, is gonna be a bit lagged mentally much of the time. This might make the cuts seem abrupt, when they aren't to the native viewer. Trouble is that a native viewer is also used to certain kidns of comic timing, so the only way to really test this theory is to find someone who's fluent but not immersed in Japanese culture. Or else I could watch a handful of scenes until I've memorized the dialoge, and then try watching without reading the subs at all.