View Single Post
Old 2009-09-05, 09:02   Link #30
Slice of Life
eyewitness

This is a great idea. I've been using a home cooked perl script to monitor the relevant RSS feeds for quite some time now. Basically, the script checks the feeds (once per hour) extracts what is new, filters it, and mails the results to me.

The most annoying feature is that when you follow several feeds is that you will get the same torrent several times and if the names or links aren't identical which they often aren't it's next to impossible to identify doubles automatically. Therefore, it might be useful to group the findings by pattern matched so the user can do that by eye.

I would also suggest to allow users to define a rank for the filter rules. In my mail, I'm getting all the entries but they are sorted according to their "level or interest". Those on top matched a pattern from the "alert" list, those at the bottom matched a pattern from the "ignore" list. (And in fact the only reason I list those is for debugging purposes.) Everything else goes in between.

Checking once per hour seems to be enough not to miss any item even from TT. Only from mininova(anime) I got some warnings in the past but not these days. I assume you'd like to be more up to date than that so checking every 15 minutes should be fine.