View Single Post
Old 2011-08-03, 02:46   Link #406
Sol Falling

Ah, lol. I already sent a moderately detailed PM, also in interests of not derailing this thread, but I think I see what caused the slip in communication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Urobochi Gen said that he had nothing but contempt for that thing which men call happiness. However, in the wake of his declaration of such a black view of the nature of hope and the universe, he confessed that his greatest wish was actually to write a story which could make men's hearts soar. Madoka Magica poses the question, not just of an unflinchingly harsh reality which has no sympathy to spare for delusions of hope and idealism--but, in such a harsh reality, whether there actually still something in the end, after all, which you would gladly trade your life for. From the very beginning, Madoka Magica talks about wishes--magical energy born from hope and raw emotion. This is a story whose fundamental premise was borne from the transcription of our hearts into reality. So the death and tragedy in this show was never meant as a gratuity, degenerate cynicism presented for the worst facets of humanity to revel in in despair and contempt for humanity; rather, they set a stage, a mirror of reality--to grant each of us humans a heartfelt opportunity to think about what meaning, what hope really does still remain for each of our pitiful, chained existences.
In this line at the end, I was talking about how Madoka Magica tries to show us how there is still Hope despite us living in such a cold, gruesome world where we are chained, pitiful existences. I wasn't saying that Madoka shows us that hope doesn't exist; rather, what Madoka tells us is that it can only be found after confronting the full scope of the harsh, unfeeling coldness of reality.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote