View Single Post
Old 2013-02-19, 10:51   Link #5210
IkuzeMinna
Shall we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullFaerie View Post
No, truth be told you're right- GW always did family, relationships and procreation really, really wrong if you think about it. It's not as if this started in FT, you have the married teenager Wufei, the teen dad Treize, Quatre of the 40 sisters (wtf, I still can't figure that one out), Zechs and his loving stalker, and a girl who yells from cliffs.
29 sisters. Let's not go overboard. xD

And sorry to butt in, but you kinda lost me on family. How does any of this look "really, really wrong?" D:

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Okay, you were probably just joking but now that you mention it, it got me thinking. Although there are many parents (or rather fathers) in different Gundam series who are complete jerks to their kids, GW is oddly devoid of those. In fact, GW does family really, really right. The Darlians, the Peacecrafts, the Winners, Father Maxwell and Sister Helen and every sibling out there are/were very loving towards their family members. Heck, even Wu Fei is a total nut for his wife. The only jerk I can think of is Dekim with Mariemaia.

Contrast that with FT, which gives us Angelina making out with her favorite son and treating him like some sort of messiah while the other, who adores her, gets treated like dirt. Or her hubby Hundert, who doesn't give a single crap about his lunatic wife and leaves her in a mental hospital to pretty much rot. Or the relationship between Duo, who might or might not be Jr.'s father, Hilde, who might or might not be Jr.'s mother, and Duo Jr., who thinks he's an orphan although he's a freaking carbon copy of Duo. The best parent of the bunch is probably Zechs, who leaves one of his kids in the care of a drunkard, who passed out right before him and later drops Naina at an orphanage, to be picked up by her father years later. That reminds me, where was Mille during that time?

In any case, BEST PARENTS EVER.

I can't argue with the romantic relationships though. GW is indeed weird in that aspect. Relena's and Heero's first interactions just make me laugh, facepalm and bang my head against a wall. But... compared to FT, yelling from a cliff seems pretty sane. At least Relena didn't go and ask Marquis Weridge to marry her when she became the ruler of Cinq. Neither did she propose to Dorothy when things got really bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javiersansano View Post
the sisters are test tube babies, like most people born in the colonies, as according to the plot, the conditions make a delivery a 100% sure kill for the mother...
In Quatre's case, that never made sense to me. a) The Winners are loaded, how come they are the last to get the birth issue solved? b) According to EZ, it's because the family lived in space for too long. But that would mean Quatrine is a Winner by birth. That doesn't make sense, since the heirs are all male. So if Zayeed is the one with the messed up genes, how come it affected Quatrine? What, were they from the same family? In that case, it may have more to do with incest and less with living in space. :S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullFaerie View Post
LMAO, no. This one was more of a joke about Dixneuf and his creepy ways (but it works with Noin too, actually. I jest.).
Dunno. Noin's habit of counting the days since she last saw Zechs isn't exactly a turn on either.

But true, compared to Dixneuf that's nothing. Only the likes of Shinji Ikari can compare to him... Oh, and Angelina.

Quote:
I thought he was even older than that. Sakura& Co were 10...
................and the wiki lists him as mid thirties actually.
So, basically a 30-something year old preying on a 10 year old. Nice. That's not illegal and deeply disturbing at all.
That Eric is healthy and normal by comparison xD
You know, it's pretty telling for a series if it's in the list of examples of pretty much every messed up trope there is. CCS along with Neon Genesis are everywhere.
Your creepy teacher? Listed under "The Jail Bait Wait."

Quote:
Lol, yep. Those two could've done whatever they wanted though, being the same age. Just that they were married is weird. I guess age in general is done weird in GW though. Everyone looks much older than they are, too.
Treize looks as if he's in his thirties for example..
The biggest shock for me was Sally being 19. I bet Irea and the rest of Quatre's sisters are nineteen, too, even though she's a doctor already.

As for Wu Fei's age when he was married off, I guess you can either take it seriously or not. The pilots being fifteen (and everyone else being too young) in the series was only done for the target audience (fun fact: the series itself never gives ages). Since EZ happens before the series and they wanted Wu Fei to be married, they had to make him fourteen. For the peace of everyone's minds they left it ambiguous whether the marriage was consummated or not.

Now, if you're taking it seriously, I guess it does make some sense to marry that young. The whole Long Clan appears to consist of pure-blooded Chinese, as they're the only ones in space who actually look like what they are. Meaning the number of possible matches was limited if you wanted to secure that aspect and avoid incest and ensure strong progeny and uphold traditions and blah. You get the point.
Marrying young would give you the chance and time to grow used to one another and learn to like your spouse enough to have kids with them without wanting to punch their face, as Eeni put it. Considering Mei Lan, being the clan's heir, likely had no real choice in that matter, I actually find it quite nice of them to at least give her quite some years before she's supposed to start popping out babies. Considering how her grandmother is ancient, I don't see her being pressured into becoming a young mother. Heck, Wu Fei and Mei Lan weren't even pressured into getting along if the lack of chiding at their hating each other's guts is any hint. xD Never mind that the approach worked, albeit ending up being more tragic than anything else...

Anyway, I doubt Sumizawa gave the whole deal this much thought when he wrote it, but the fact that he was gracious enough to leave room for a sane explanation is highly appreciated, given how uncomfortable it might make some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susyia View Post
"According to one of the interviews with the producers of Gundam Wing in which... -blah blah blah-"
I've stumbled upon this, too, and while I don't have anything against the author of that site, you ought to state your exact sources when you spout stuff like that. I tried looking up this ominous interview but every other site I found quoting this information referred to this fan site as their source. So for all I know it's something pulled out of that author's butt, since I can't find the "official" interview s/he mentions.

Nothing against you susyia, but I don't see this information as valid enough to decide what level of intimacy each pilot has experienced.

Besides, it's wrong anyway. In EW Heero totally got to second base when he dove headfirst into Relena's chest.

Last edited by IkuzeMinna; 2013-02-19 at 11:33.
IkuzeMinna is offline   Reply With Quote