View Single Post
Old 2011-03-04, 23:43   Link #8
Kinku
Hate a Hater.Love a Lover

Send a message via MSN to Kinku
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
I like the idea and the concept of MMA, but by its own definition, MMA should be a mixture of any and all martial arts, but I don't really see that in competitions. There's a lot of rules that imo, restrict what you can do with the art and converted it to a sport, what with all the rules being in place in a style whose concept shouldn't really have any rules (apart from maybe don't kill each other ).

Sure, that applies to the vast majority of martial arts today (Karate, Judo, TKD, Muay Thai, BJJ) but what MMA has done is simply took techniques from an assortment of the arts I mentioned and simply use them by the book rather than learning how to truly amalgamate techniques from each style into one single form, eventually creating a true mixed martial art. I like to watch it but to me, it's very reminiscent to boxing events, but with kicks and a grapples included.

Side note: I tend to think styles like Bujinkan and Jeet Kun Do can be considered real mixed martial arts
The only Anime I consider that close to MMA is Baki grappler ..(which is one of my favorite manga) The main character kinda learns all sort of martial arts and applies it during his matches..