View Single Post
Old 2012-10-26, 06:06   Link #409
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

As for the UsagixMamoru romance, I think Chiibi nailed it on the head

And I have to admit that even as a kid, I never saw the appeal of Mamoru...
Always thought he was boring and couldn't understand what Usagi could possibly see in him. I think my precise objections were that he was "embarrassing, weak and boring"- I was clearly a child with very high standards in men and a bit liberal with the harshness- what can I say?!
Now, if I watched it today, I'd probably think he was alright but unremarkable - especially when male!Seiya is so much more fun to watch. But there's nothing essentially wrong with the character, he's just not particularly interesting: which is okay, the story is about the girls, he doesn't need to stand out.

But honestly, if there was one thing this show could fix compared to the original, it should be decent focus and distribution of powers for the entire cast. In the end, not only was the story Usagi's, but so was every battle. I couldn't take the rest of the cast seriously at some point, realising they were only there to weaken whoever they were facing enough for Usagi to deliver a convenient killing blow. Some "guardians" they were

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreSage View Post
Yes, that is a theme that I rarely see in manga or anime. At the moment, I can't think of any other example where the male protagonist supports the female protagonist like this. I'm sure there are but I can't think of one right now.
but every magical girl anime (or: every shojo anime that doesn't focus on romance as it's major plot point/ every show with a predominantly female cast) does this. Look at the male cast in Wedding Peach or Mermaid Melody, Rose of Versailles, Utena (sort of), AKB0048, Kaito Jeanne, you name it.