View Single Post
Old 2006-10-15, 15:25   Link #9
Harukalover
In exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunboat Diplomat View Post
But then, since h.264 is a much better codec, why don't you use it to make the "smaller filesize" version even smaller?
Most people see H264 as meaning way better quality. So why aim for something smaller but is only slightly better in quality then the XviD release?

Quote:
Obviously, you are releasing an XviD version for the late adopters. This leaves the h.264 version for the people who are up-to-date with their technology. So, why the discrepancy in quality? It would seem to me that you would make a release of a suitable quality and make two versions of it, one for late adopters and the other for everyone else. If an extra high quality release is desired, you can release a third version in h.264. If people want quality, they will obviously pay for it (in terms of technology).
Release a third version eh? Well this is answered simply with it's not my job. Encoders do this as a free service. I have other projects as well and no reason to spend days encoding tons of different versions to satisfy a few leechers.

Quote:
The asymmetry just doesn't make sense to me. Again, if you want to release a smaller file size version, you can make it even smaller by using h.264...
XviD is more for those who fear change or can't play H264. I aim for same size that they are used to with XviD (175MB). With H264 most downloading it are looking for the best quality so I aim for best quality with it. I have no care about what size I output to by doing so. (Unless it gets into insane sizes like 500MB for a 23 minute episode)