View Single Post
Old 2008-01-30, 23:23   Link #13
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXEs View Post
He's very much like Kyon, in the way that his personality is rather sarcastic and down to earth, and the fact that he has a potential harem of 3 girls.
I love Kyon, but he was nothing more than a foil for the other characters. He basically serves the purpose of helping the reader/viewer relate to otherwise totally alien characters. Yes, he is witty and sarcastic, but that's what he was supposed to do, nothing more.

Shinichiro on the other hand is very expressive and does take the initiative when prompted (giving Noe the tissue box chicken for example). He strikes me as a very introspective person, with all sorts of metaphors to try and understand the confusing teenage world. Mostly with Hiromi her "bottled up tears", which he seeks to take away (note both of these are double entendres, which shows how good the script is). This explains why we don't see him taking action very much, but he is far from the passive male lead.

His portrayal is also very "human", especially during the first episode when he tries (once again) to strike up a conversation with Hiromi, his childhood friend, only to fail miserably. Frustration and self-blame ensues behind the corner. I'm sure we've all done this at least once during our teenage years, maybe not out loud, but definitely in our heads.

I'm also interested in Shinichiro's other passions, like his picture book and how that might play into the relationships with the girls.