View Single Post
Old 2008-06-14, 16:24   Link #187
stray
Classic Yandere

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
QRanka:

1) She is a young girl with a sad past. Her family was killed 11 years before, and she's being raised by an ex-military fighter pilot who has become a brother to her. Thanks to her mind blocking out those events of the past, she hasn't dealt with her past yet, and will need to become stronger mentally, so that she can finally move on and look to the future.

2) She has dreams of being like Sheryl. She loves to sing, and she wants others to hear her sing. She's alot like Lynn Minmei here, however, she's more grounded and humble as a person. How she becomes a star, and how she changes as a person because of it(does she stay grounded, or does she become like Lynn Minmei, or end up with a fake persona like Sheryl showed in the beginning episodes?).

3) At the start, she is a 14/15 year old girl, who has no thoughts on love and relationships, beyond that of what any typical young teenager girl might have. Right now, she only sees thinks in how they relate to her. Examples are of how she always talks about her brother won't let her do this, she wants to do that. She thinks this. She wishes that. She's all about herself. Not in a selfish way exactly, just that she hasn't really had a chance to grow up yet, and see what other people are going through around her. This will also be a focus as time goes on I believe. She will learn to be receptive to the people around her, and react accordingly(Luca in the restaurant, giving Alto and Ranka space is a prime example of someone who is aware).

4) Ranka doesn't know what love is. Or I should say, she hasn't fallen in love yet, so she hasn't really dived deep into what it is, and how it is. Her experiences with Sheryl and Alto, are both different, and similar. On one hand, Sheryl is this famous star that she strives to be. A goal for her as a career you can say. Alto, immediately becomes like a big brother to her. Offering advice, listening to her complain, helping her find herself, and her direction. She looks up to him in this way for the most part(it's obviously changing and going to continue to change as she changes, and she experiences different interactions with Alto and Sheryl). At the same time, she cares about both of them, and even if none of them had feelings for each other, I could see the three of them being good friends. I see Ranka seeing love and friendship very, very differently, by the end of this series, thanks to Sheryl and Alto. The Love Triangle will also force her to move at a pace that in a normal life, she wouldn't have had to do quite so quickly. I guess you could say point 4 is interwoven with point 3, but it deserves it's own discussion in my opinion.
---

Please correct me in anything that you feel is twisted, false, or just mistaken. Thanks.

Will
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
Okay, random thinking as I haven't sat down and watched the show today, but my mind wanders like this so bear with me.

Remember when Sheryl went and kissed Alto on the cheek? Check the background. The light seemed to get brighter at that moment, as if the sun was focusing it's rays all around them as it went down.

Another note, is they seem to love playing BGM when Sheryl and Alto do something together, yet there's hardly anything, when Alto and Ranka are together. Am I reading too much into this, or does it seem like even the animators and musical staff, give more flair to this pairing, than the Alto/Ranka pairing?

Will(always open to criticism)
I think you might have a masters' thesis to write on Macross F...

Anyway, so far Ranka is both the most "mature" of the 3 (although emotionally healthy might be a better way to put it), and probably the most "immature" (inexperienced?). Plus, she's the only one we have a real narrative insight to (aside from Sheryl's blog). She was there for both the kiss on the cheek, as well as Sheryl stealing a kiss on the movie set; and for all intents and purposes both scenes really took place from her point of view. A few other key scenes did also; Sheryl's breakdown on stage... I can't think of any more offhand. She seems to get hurt, or discouraged rather than jealous, but whether it's "love" or not she looks up to both Alto, and Sheryl. I guess Ranka could still turn into a yanderekko... but as of episode 10 she seems to be the only one who's acknowledged how she feels about the other 2, and in a way... where she fits in. Realistically, though, I can't see her backing down.

If there's any other character from another Macross I'd compare her to it'd probably be Myung from Macross Plus... ironically Myung's song from Plus sounds a little like Aimo.

Speaking of Alto and Sheryl, I'm willing to wager that the kiss with Alto was probably Sheryl's first "romantic" kiss...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darial View Post
I concur. Misa was the most developed out of all three. Never understood what Hikaru saw in Minmei besides the star thing. Liked the ending, but the way there was quite painful.
Curious, but did you watch the DYRL movie, or SDFM(or for that matter, Robotech)? I ask because in DYRL when Hikaru and Minmay met she was already a star (and... he was a starstruck idiot), but in SDFM it was well before she won Miss Macross.