View Single Post
Old 2013-04-07, 23:37   Link #15
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
Still, 'contract' get 'low cost' associated with it in my mind. Surely, there's a relationship to the quality if that's the case, I guess?
There is, but "the quality of what?" is the question. In cases where the director and writer come from the outside (along often with at least some of the storyboard artists), a lot of the fundamental decisions about the show are out of the studio's hands. (Between the Director, Writer, and Storyboard Artist, that's really the framework for the entire show, for the most part.) What they really control is the execution of the storyboard in terms of the animation and overall production. And that is where time and budget come in.

I would assume that things like "how faithful the anime is to the original work" are almost certainly out of their hands in most cases.

(If faithfulness to the original work were really a priority, it would really be up to the Production Committee to make that clear to the writers they hire. The editorial teams from the novel/manga publishers certainly can exert that sort of influence if they want, and do in some cases. It's not like the decision happens in isolation, anyway.)