View Single Post
Old 2009-03-15, 13:10   Link #20
cynicalicious
I like pie.

My Japanese is faaar too unreliable for such a task.

Also, keep in mind that it's one thing to sort of gloss over a sentence (albeit slowly) and generally "get it" enough to move on, because you "get it" in Japanese-- I don't actually translate it into English in my brain anymore for the most part, except when I'm too lazy to remember a kanji reading for a word I'm never going to need outside of the book. When I read in Japanese, I think in Japanese. I don't bother translating into English in my brain, because a lot of Japanese concepts don't really translate well, and you grok them in Japanese better, anyway. For example, if I read "祐巳達," I see it as "Yumi-tachi," and don't translate it into "Yumi and the people with her," or "Yumi & Co." It's too much mental work. There's a lot of that in Japanese.

Translating it into English so that it's accurate *and* so that it makes sense to a native English speaker who doesn't speak any Japanese at all is quite a lot of work. I can plow through a book in about 5-7 days of reading in my spare time. Translating it would take months for me, and I would be terrified of all the mistakes I would make.

--
EDIT: On an unrelated note, make sure you have your Kleenex boxes handy in two weeks. There's a scene in Anata wo Sagashi ni that's crucial to the Touko/Yumi story that, if done right, will have most of you getting all misty. (So yeah, if you thought episode 11 was great, then if it's done properly-- big "if" there, because there's a lot of stuff to cover-- then episode 13 should top it.)

Last edited by cynicalicious; 2009-03-16 at 00:07. Reason: Don't want to double-post.