View Single Post
Old 2010-08-02, 00:20   Link #47
alovelyburn
The Invisible Me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryus View Post
VIZ's Translations of Claymore!

Believe me If I could translate myself I would have done it for all of Claymore by now. Like you I'm the type to read every translation of Claymore out there just to see the differences. At times they astound me and other times it's just better and worse word choices/phrasing. It really bugs me though when any group poorly keeps the character tone right... I mean just look at Riful half the time she's translated just acting like a kid playing a game and the others times she a genius.

I expect quite a few others will go on some ranting about translation now that it was brought up
ROFLMAO. THAT SHOCKED FACE. BEST THING EVER.

I'm just kinda too lazy/prone to Japanese burnout to go through the whole thing. The most frustrating kind of difference for me is... accuracy differences? Like, okay take Riful's explanation of Priscilla's rampage - in the fantranslation I'm most familiar with, she says that Priscilla left one little girl alive in one town. In Viz's translation it says that she never killed ANY girls. That's a huge difference, okay. Annoying! Or sometimes there's a word that carries a certain connotation that gets lost if you just use its literal translation - cultural values and implications, but I guess there's not much to do about that without loads of author's notes.

The Riful thing... I'm always curious about whether that's a writing issue (like, the translator didn't try to retain the feeling of her speech or doesn't know how to or whatever) or an ability issue (like, the translator can't tell the difference between kid speech and adult speech). Aaaaah, who knows. Everyone should just learn Japanese.