View Single Post
Old 2011-07-21, 13:57   Link #42
marvelB

Yeah, I can definitely understand how Jojo wouldn't be everybody's cup of tea. Araki's ever-evolving art style takes quite a bit of getting used to (the same applied for me, many moons ago), and as the series' title suggests, it's just flat-out..... well, bizarre. However, despite that, I still recommend reading parts 1-3 first since A) they pretty much set up the basic framework of the series (even though Stands aren't actually introduced until part 3), and B) their stories are all heavily intertwined with each other. On the opposite end, I would NOT recommend starting with Stone Ocean (part 6), 'cuz if you were weirded out by the first few Jojolion chapters, then the entirety of SO would pretty much make you want to rip out your brain.

....Personally, I'd also say go with part 4, but there's kind of a problem with the most widely available translations for it being really, really, reeeeeeaaaallllly terrible (DUWANG, anyone?). There actually have been much higher-quality translations released during the past few years, but the problem is that the re-trans hasn't been completed yet (nor does it seem like it'll be complete anytime soon.....). 'Course, you can go ahead and read the DUWANG'd version if you want, but..... just beware (though the horrible translation is not without its own unique charm, I must admit). It's rather a shame that there's no complete (decent) trans for it, because I rather enjoy its slice of life-ish approach (something I'm not usually fond of), love the awesome characters and Stands (Rohan Kishibe owns and you know it, bitches), and IMO it has the best main villain in the series after Dio. I truly do hope that Jojolion brings back that magic that made me love part 4 so much......

Well, enough of my part 4 ramblings for now! If you really want to start off from one of the later parts, then SBR (which is indeed a series reboot) would be your best bet, as others have already mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisoka?? View Post
I felt SBR was a little too messy for my taste though. + the last boss for SBR was atypically "unbroken"

ALL final Jojo bosses are broken, including SBR's. Or are you referring to the final-final boss? Because that guy's powers are broken, too.....
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote