View Single Post
Old 2006-08-30, 11:51   Link #13
Alu
Guide my hand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon
@Flo - Of course RM can stand up to the TP abuse, but it's what I perceive to be the arrogance of the translator to change key characteristics that gets me. A translator translates, if they want to recreate a character then they should write their own series, could you imagine if a translator of Popeye decided that spinich wasn't localised enough and changed it to seaweed?
The problem is.. what does ~Desu specifically translate too ?
Trying to look at it from a translator point of view.., if set word has no specific meaning in set forgein language.., then the translator is faced with 2 choices..

1 is to continue to use the same word, even though it doesn't exist nor has it meaning in set forgein language, it exists for the sole purpose to emphazise the set caracteristic aspect of the character.

2 is to find a word that would assimilate to that of set word on the language the content is to be translated; a word this that would still carry the same purpose as the original one, and for that to happen.., it would have to be extramly carefully chosen.
However there is always the risk of making the character compleatly lose her innitial caractertics when changing such a accentuative form of speech.

Naturaly.., in this case since we all know Sui's speach and attitudes so well.., the translator would have without a doubt opted for the first choice..

And I do in fact always rather that, if anything is translated.., when upon such choices.., those in charge of the translation always choose to remain loyal to the innitial aspects rather then to change them; even if those don't exist in the language they are translating.

However not all translations are bad.., there have been cases when the 2nd option was used, and despite the risk always beeing present.., alot of translations where still able to pull it off without ruining the character.

All and all though, like we know.. Sui is a character that is very much dependant on her form of speech.., hence even if they had chosen a more proper word that would work in english to replace it.., none would cause the impact that the original has in Sui's speech.

So.., it is realy sad that within this group of work, much like in many.., people still don't make the right decisions..

And much like Grey.., I am realy angry at them for doing such.., but like I previously posted before..

~Desu will forever be ~Desu ! ~desu
Alu is offline   Reply With Quote