View Single Post
Old 2006-03-25, 17:27   Link #7
Shadowlord
~DESU

Overall Nvidia cards produce more raw FPS, however most hardware enthusiasts agree that ATI cards produce better image quality. It all comes down to a difference of filtering techniques as well as hardware implementation. Personally the performance of either companies' cards are so close it really doesnt matter which one you choose. Unless you have an allegience to a specific company grab whatever card is cheaper as they will both perform similarily. There are some exceptions to this rule but generally speaking you won't be dissipointed with either companies. I myself am a total Nvidia fanboy so I only buy Nvidia based cards but ATI cards are still excellent.

I can try and help you out a bit with performance numbers. Please note that this list was created from WHAT I REMEMBER and may have a few errors as I can't remember everything. If you want a more complete list search google or something as I have decided to end the list there since cards older than these should not be purchased unless you are seriously strapped for cash and your motherboard doesn't have integrated graphics.

Nvidia............................................ .....ATI

7900GTX.........................................X1 900XTX
7800GTX 512..................................X1900XTX
7900GT...........................................X 1900XT
7800GTX 256..................................X1800XT
7800GT...........................................X 1800XL
7600GT...........................................X 1600XT
7600GS...........................................X 1600Pro
6800Ultra........................................X 850XTPE
6800GS/6800GT..............................X800XT/X800Pro
6800.............................................. ..????????????????
6600GT...........................................X 700Pro
6600.............................................. .X700
5950 Ultra......................................9800XT

I believe I have left out 1 or 2 XL variants for the ATI cards.I have also left out the 6200, 6200TC, 7300 series as well. I did this because those are super low end budget cards that offer minimal performance anyway so I saw little point in comparing ATI and Nvidia counterparts as any card at theat price range performs similarily.
Shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote