View Single Post
Old 2010-04-23, 06:07   Link #3652
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
The Maintenance of Parents Act does not work that way. Specifically, the Maintenance of Parents Tribunal must first be satisfied that:
  • The respondent (the child) is able to provide maintenance to the applicant (the parent) after his own requirements and those of his spouse and his children have been supplied
  • The applicant is unable, in spite of efforts on his part, to maintain himself through work or from his property or from any other source.
Meaning to say, no maintenance will be automatically granted to irresponsible parents. The onus for proving irresponsibility, though, will fall on the adult child being sued for maintenance. In any case, since you can barely even support yourself, the Tribunal is not in a position to beggar you further just to support your parent.

If not, it would be an abuse of the law. It's meant to protect parents — not to give freeloaders a meal ticket.

As for your circumstances, my sympathies. In the light of the situation you described, I don't think you'll get fruitful answers here. There are probably a great deal of other details that you have not revealed, details that are understandably very private and best not discussed online with an anonymous online community.

Furthermore, not knowing you in person, any advice I could give would come across as a pat answer, and very unlikely to be helpful. I also risk pre-judging the different parties involved — again, not very helpful.

For a start, though, I would suggest approaching the Workforce Development Agency for help over the terms and conditions of your job-training bond. Seems to me that your first priority should be to protect your rice bowl.
I went to a legal clinic for advice, and what I was told is the onus for proving irresponsibility is almost the same as proving that my father is unfaithful : quite an impossibility unless strap him to a slanted table and pour water down his nose.

Regarding the WDA, I have thought through that but I doubt I have the time to make a F2F interview. The other options I have considered in the past is to peddle drugs or be a loanshark runner, but I wasn't as desperate as I am now so I ditched them. Wished I had take them up and saved money back then when it is still available - having a conscience kinda sucks.

Looks like this hell week is going to repeat itself for the next 104 cycles until I graduate. And I guess this is what Santa meant by those who don't work don't deserve to eat.

P.S I have been a hikkikomori for 2 months and a shut-in otaku (the less social and more extreme type of otaku) since 16. Hopefully my sanity outlasts this shit, but the "I have been through this for 2 years, so what is another 2?" self-motivation technique is getting old.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote