View Single Post
Old 2012-12-11, 13:34   Link #31353
haguruma

Send a message via ICQ to haguruma Send a message via MSN to haguruma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Does Dlanor know something I don't?
I think it's not about knowing something you don't, because Ryuukishi made Dlanor say as well, that she only started understanding this triple structure when she went over this script.

"It does not matter whether what you feel for that woman called Beatrice is love or hatred when you read this.

But, if somehow possible,
I want you to arrive at what is hidden on the deepest layer of this story, her feelings.
It was said that she constructed this story in twofold, but released only one form.
But that is actually wrong.
This is a story that exist thrice and was released only in one form.
Through this incomplete manuscript, two of those three become exposed.
I want you to struggle towards an idea for the last one out of your own strength.
That is what I strongly wish to implore all of you readers to do, as a woman myself.
"

She doesn't say that this understanding comes from being a woman, Dlanor's understanding has lead her to liken her own motivation for releasing this story to be the same as what Beatrice should have realized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
He also said some weird things about both men and women in one interview that AuraTwilight is fond of mocking.

It's like he hasn't even read his own story.
I would agree that his view of men and women is certainly very different from a current Western perspective of Gender, but that shouldn't keep us from trying to understand what he is telling us.

He also said in an interview I translated once, that you can understand Umineko better if you have been "like a young girl in love". I think it is less his direct idea of Sex that comes into play here, but his idea of understanding the heart of another Gender.
This is going very deep into analysis here, but I think he actually does make a personal difference between what is expected from men and women and what they actually feel. Umineko as a whole is basically also a huge comment about Gender and social roles, people not conforming to their expected roles or not being able to fulfill them because of personal "shortcomings".

I think the same that he made Dlanor say about Beatrice, there being more personal bias in her story than she let herself believe, can be said for his story as well...and maybe his motivation to create "Our Confession" was this realization.
He himself wanted to make us see that "there is love in everybody", but looking back at what he wrote he realized that he clearly despised certain actions no matter how motivated they might appear from another perspective.
haguruma is offline   Reply With Quote