View Single Post
Old 2013-05-14, 23:35   Link #10
hyl
reading #hikaributts

I think date a life still feels like a typical LN harem serie and the socalled VN elements are not strongly present (and the possible "choices" are nothing like the ones in VN's)

Going back to your first post, because i skipped most of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
Manga (4-koma in particular) are home to series like Yuyushiki and A Channel that can carry a few characters and their comedic interactions in a serialized format, with its own set of comedic timing. In a visual novel, this rarely works. I noticed that because there was a VN (Bokura wa Piachere) that, though I haven't played it yet, cribs heavily from K-ON!'s visual style (note: this makes me want to play it more)... but the similarities stop there. Reading the plot and the character profiles reveal that to fit the visual novel medium, several changes had to be made. The presence of a viewpoint character. More dramatic tension. Romantic subplots. I'm not saying this is a good or bad thing, but it changes the texture to a very noticeable degree.
Games made by ad:lib tend to be quite bad or mediocre at best and i think their games to try to cash in on popular animes, just like aorio looks visually alot like Haganai .... (the story was horrible though)
So i don't think Bokura wa Piachere is a good example

If you were looking for a true slice of life , then a VN is probably the wrong kind of medium. I don't think the "reader" is looking for slice of life's in VN's (not saying that there are any and some VN's have a very good "daily life moments" in it )
Most of them (not including nukiges) are either romance, sci-fi or fantasy (and in the latter 2 cases, you can still find romance in it).

edit: i think it's the same with the medium movies. I haven't seen that many movies that are a pure "slice of life"

Last edited by hyl; 2013-05-14 at 23:46.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote