View Single Post
Old 2004-09-22, 01:06   Link #441
pyu
Crouchety Old Man

Send a message via MSN to pyu
yinstro, I guess its the suitability of the whole setting with regards to the ever increasing power-levels.

Naruto was, and is (hopefully), about a ninja-in-training whose name is Naruto. Perhaps my perception is wrong, but aren't ninjas suppose to be dependent on speed, stealth and intelligence to accomplish their missions?

Perhaps Kishimoto's setting involves the shinobi being somewhat more similar to warriors and soldiers rather than espionage agents, but the idea was there at the beginning. Shinobi are supposed to be group in teams, with a team leader, and they are suppose to go out and accomplish missions in order to garner profit for their village and reputation for themselves.

It was a good concept, and a rather refreshing one.

Even though Kyubi was a demon of great power, it was sealed using a powerful jutsu that cost the Fourth Hokage his life. Though it denotes some link to the occult, it was still realistic, a one off.

The Haku arc was superb - a hint of the Kyubi in Naruto, but the scale of the fight was still okay.

The Chunin Exam arc was very good, till the end with Gaara v.s Naruto part - but still okay, with the reason being the demons sealed within the two boys.

Then came the 'Find Tsunade' arc, and near the end, the huge Sanin fight. I can accept the fact that the Sanins are extraordinary shinobi who are masters of their craft, thus the scale of the fight becomes okay.

Then came the 'Chase Sasuke' arc. Here is where the madness begins. The genins in Shikamaru's team find themselves going against Orochimaru's elite guards, who also took down two jounins at the start. However, the elite guards find themselves down for the count despite all their abilities. After swallowing that large chunk of disbelief, I can write that off as that the genins had alot of luck, their fate is somewhat uncertain (Neji and Chouji) and the guards underestimated them.

Then now you have Naruto and Sasuke duking it out with no semblance of stealth or craftiness. Just pure power and pure destruction. Kyubi-fied Naruto versus Cursed Seal Sasuke. And its gaining supernatural tones already.

Its the awkwardness of the whole thing that galls me. Somehow, I feel Kishimoto is allowing the characters and situation to dictate to him, not the other way round. Maybe its fine for him, but I just find it unsettling - and somewhat disappointing.
pyu is offline   Reply With Quote