Thread: Licensed Simoun
View Single Post
Old 2006-02-26, 08:50   Link #1
Simon
気持ち悪い

Simoun

シムーン (starts April 2006)

Since I couldn't find a thread for this upcoming yuri anime...

Synopsis from AnimeBlogger.net:

Quote:
The story takes place on a planet different from the Earth. They call their planet the Great Air Continent. There, they are born as female. When they become 15 years old, they go to the "spring" and choose their sex to become "adult".

They are at war; the country where the main characters live is invaded by the next country aiming at their superior engine. Day by day, the situation is getting severer. To intercept their attack, they convert the two-seater plane for ceremony, Simoun, into a fighter. Also, they organize an air squad, "Call", which consists of "Mediums". They are girls who don’t decide their sex yet.

The girl who can operate "Simoun" is called "Simoun Siwula". Because they have special abilities, they can choose when they become “adult” by themselves. However, since the war broke out, they've been forced to continue to be pilots, i.e., "girls".
Official site - ANN encyclopedia - Broadcast schedule

Staff
  • Director: Junji NISHIMURA (Kyo Kara Maoh! / Ranma ˝ / Windy Tales) 西村淳二
  • Art supervision: Shichiro KOBAYASHI 小林七郎
  • Character design: Asako NISHIDA (Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito) 西田亜沙子
  • Conceptual design: Hiroshi NAGAHAMA (Mushishi) 長濱博史
  • Mechanical design: Jin Seob Song
  • Animation: Studio Deen
  • Music: Toshihiko SAHASHI (Full Metal Panic! / Gunslinger Girl / Gundam Seed Destiny) 佐橋俊彦
  • OP performance: Chiaki ISHIKAWA (vocalist from See-Saw) 石川智晶
  • ED performance: Savage Genius
Cast (romanisation shamelessly stolen from ANN)
  • Aeru: Michi NIINO (pics?) 新野美知
  • Neviriru: Rieko TAKAHASHI 高橋理恵子
  • Paraietta: Ami KOSHIMIZU 小清水亜美
  • Kaimu: Michiko HOSOGO (HOSOGOSHI?) 細越みちこ
  • Alti: Megumi TOYOGUCHI (Sei from Maria-mite) 豊口めぐみ
  • Rimone: Mamiko NOTO (Shimako from Maria-mite) 能登麻美子
  • Rodoreamon: Mikako TAKAHASHI 高橋美佳子
  • Furoe: Manami UZAWA 鵜沢愛美
  • Morinasu: Nana MIZUKI (Shinobu from 2x2 Shinobuden) 水樹奈々
  • Dominura: Yukana ゆかな
  • Maminna: Rika MORINAGA 森永理科
  • Onasia: Sakiko TAMAGAWA 玉川紗己子
  • Amuria: Eri KITAMURA (Saya from Blood+) 喜多村英梨
A manga based on the series is being serialised in Comic Yurihime (beginning Volume 3, Winter 2006). There's a brief summary of the first installment on Okazu.

Now, a question:

Some sources suggest that the anime is based on an original work by Jin Seob Song - certainly, the title and the term "siwula" sound much more Korean than Japanese. I've tried Googling with my best guess at the hangul, but I haven't hit anything obvious like a manhwa. Can any Korean-speakers shed light on the origins of this series?

Last edited by Simon; 2006-09-16 at 06:12. Reason: Fix a typo that's been bugging me for months...
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote