Thread: Licensed Akb0048
View Single Post
Old 2012-05-12, 04:09   Link #687
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochichan View Post
Kotaku always got the thing against AKB..idk what but they never talked about AKB favorably before..or at least even try to be neutral about...
Hope their writers don't live in Japan right now..:P
Haha, same here It sometimes really is just a question of being a bit less quick to judge.
And some of those campaigns are hilarious! AKB sushi, hahaha. I can see how that would confuse/annoy some people. Especially unsuspecting westerners who aren't used to this very aggressive advertising or idol concept- not to this extreme at least.
Still, that's what japan does, and whatever helps the economy goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylphic View Post
It's socially acceptable for girls to do pretty much whatever.

For men, not so much. This society is quite weird.

AKB is common place, but unless you are outwardly wota, very few men will openly admit they know and like AKB.
Well, that's understandable though, from a societal POV. Especially when you talk about the work environment it makes a lot of sense, and the same stereotype would be applied in the West- possibly even worse. Try being a guy applying for Big Law and telling them your main interest is not Polo and walking your dog but watching teenage girls in bikinis do silly things. Or watching and discussing gossip girl. It's the kind of stuff that has no place at work but should remain in your private life. Not saying either interest is bad (in fact I think it's a good thing to relax and escape to after work), it's just not what you'd want to hear from a middle aged guy who will be running the finances of your multi-billion dollar company. xD

Not saying I condone this stereotyping, just that some things aren't meant to be communicated to your professional connections.
Girls, on the other hand are allowed to like and do cute things, sure. But then, they're barred from other interests/activities that would be accepted as "normal" for guys. It's hardly true that girls can do whatever. I'd say the opposite is true really... this is the only activity I can think of where it happens to be ok for girls but not guys. Normally it's the opposite, no?!

edit: just removed a resolved situation

Last edited by Faerie; 2012-05-13 at 11:48.
Faerie is offline   Reply With Quote