Thread: Licensed Mouretsu Pirates
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-25, 11:04   Link #1627
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I wish this series would spent as much time explaining crucial plot points as it does detailing the technologies. I managed to get the gist of it, but was quite confused about a few things. Thanks to the novel posters who helped clear that up.

"Everything turned out alright" in the end, but I feel that was mostly thanks to luck. What if there had been plenty of genetic samples left inside the rose? Marika would have effectively screwed Gruelle over by surrendering the rose to Grunhilde's faction. In the first place, Marika had no reason to go behind Gruelle's back before even knowing anything about her intentions. Incidentally, Marika shouldn't be so quick to trust random old men, even if they look nice. She definitely betrayed Gruelle's trust. Marika's actions seems to make a lot more sense in the novel since she negotiated with Yotof after she saw the rose and understood what Gruelle's true goal was. At the time, they were in a deadlock and that was the only way to avoid needless bloodshed.

Since I haven't read the novels, I can't know for sure, but I'm under the impression the anime messed up quite a bit.
I don't think Marika actually planned ahead of time to hand the ship over to Grunhilde. What was negotiated was "These two girls are going to be running with very high emotions when they meet. If they can't come to an agreement, rather than let them push us all into killing each other, we will knock them out and negotiate this situation ourselves in a less emotionally volatile atmosphere."

Thus, I don't believe Marika ever intended to betray her employer. She simply acted to prevent the high-strung girls from getting everyone killed, and then took the time to more fully analyze the situation. Once they discovered that the Rose was failing, she realized the whole argument no longer mattered, and so with the knowledge that the royal family couldn't continue the way it had been regardless of what either Gruelle or Grunhilde may have wanted, they worked out what should be done with the Queen Serendipity now.

Last edited by Random Wanderer; 2012-03-25 at 11:54.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote